03 February 2009

Memfis - Pub Anchor - 20 nov 2008

The hype about the Kristinehamn band Memfis has been huge ever since their first demo release in 2004. There have been a lot of expectations for their first label release in 2006, “The Wind Up” - expectations they have lived up to in most people’s eyes. With very few shows having been played the past year, I was exited to see where the band was headed at end of 2008.

When Memfis had first gotten on stage I stood there with my mouth gaping wide open. What the fuck? Had lead singer/guitarist Mattias Engström been replaced? It took me until they had started playing the first song to realize that he must have gotten a MAJOR haircut (read: from ass-long ‘til none). With that sorted out, I could focus on the music.

Even if the dynamics, which are such an exceptional part of this band’s sound, are not as distinct on such a small stage, the band gets through to the audience with their well-produced, progressive sound.

To watch a Memfis show is a very safe experience. They have found their sound, are extremely tight and feel comfortable on stage. They are stabile, dynamic and extremely musical (and now less hairy). The comfortably-sized audience at Pub Anchor ends up leaving pleased, getting exactly what they came for. But I found myself asking why I hadn’t heard more of them, and why they play so few shows in a city as large as Stockholm. So I asked them why. The answer they had was simple:

“Cause people don’t wanna see us more often.” But I believe that if they keep up the hard work and release another album as great as “The Wind Up”, people will be convinced otherwise. I’m sure the Memfis saga has just begun.

//Annika

No comments: