18 February 2009

Opeth - Close-Up Boat - 12 Feburary 2009

In my opinion, there are few bands that live up to the same musical standards as the Stockholmers pride Opeth. And there are even fewer who live up to them live. Despite annoying facts like the stage fence being the perfect height to rub against my p-stave (resulting in a lot of bruising) and the sound technicians’ inability to fix the singing volume, it’s still magic. The later of these two facts was clearly the most annoying one. In the beginning of the show the sound was way too low, and just when you thought they’d fixed it in the middle, it got lower again towards the end. Even people from the audience where shouting at them to turn it up. I refused to let it bother me too much though.

Well, as you probably understand, I might not be so objective writing this. I happen to believe that Opeth is one of the best bands. Ever. So no, even if they played a bad show I would still love it. But they didn’t.

There is a special charisma over this band. And no matter how many bands that try to copy them, or are influenced by them, none can take their place. Even the middle talk is charming. Mikael Åkerfeldt talking about how many faults he played in the past song, with all the new stuff they were performing. ‘Cause it was mostly new stuff they played. But also old classics like Leaper Affinity, and when they ended with Bleak I had Goosebumps all over my bruised arms.

//Annika

No comments: